Position: Child and Youth Care Worker
Type: Shift work
Location: Fort Smith, NWT
Compensation: $24.00 / hr
Responsible for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating appropriate programming based on the physical, mental, and emotional needs of children and youth in the residence as well as ensuring the safe, efficient operation of the residence and assisting clients to establish and maintain daily life skills.
- Build healthy relationships with youth in the residence by demonstrating interest in the individual, positive reinforcement for behaviours, building self-esteem and negotiating focused goals.
- Work with each youth to assist in identifying/assessing their strengths and needs.
- Provide on-site supervised visits for children and youth.
- Maintain a safe environment via safety inspections, emergency procedures, crisis intervention techniques, non-violent physical restraint techniques, and identifying signs and symptoms of abuse.
- Perform organizational duties by completing documentation, performing administrative duties, and managing workload.
- Provide shift coverage days, nights, week-ends and holidays as scheduled.
- Promote a friendly, supportive environment for co-operative living and conflict resolution skills among youth.
- Assist youth in the residence in developing daily routines for healthy meal planning preparation, and housekeeping duties.
- Assist in the delivery of therapeutic life skills, recreational and cultural programming
- Implement and put into effect house rules and policies and conduct searches as necessary.
- Provide crisis interventions with clients as appropriate.
- Perform security checks and respond to security emergencies.
- Answer phone line after office hours and provide crisis coverage as assigned.
- Accompany residents to health and/or legal services as assigned.
- Maintain logbook, client files, incident reports, and other reports as required.
- Overnight Shift Requirements: Must remain awake during overnight shift to ensure safety of residential clients and provide emotional support and interventions as required.
- Child and Youth Care experience.
- Comfort working with youth of all ages.
- Ability to initiate, develop and deliver programming.
- Ability to set and maintain firm, reasonable limits and boundaries.
- Ability to maintain calm demeanor when faced with challenging behaviors and de-escalate client crises.
- Experience in group facilitation and group dynamics.
- Demonstrates understanding of: crisis intervention and prevention and suicide prevention and intervention.
- Must possess an unrestricted driver’s license.
- First Aid, CPR, NVCI and ASIST Certification considered strong assets.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening, Hep A & B screening, a clear tuberculosis skin test, and a clear driver’s abstract.
Hours of Work
- Shift work (8 hour shifts including overnights)
Formerly known as Atlantic Youth, Shift is a privately owned and operated youth care company based in the Head of St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia. Founded in 2011, Shift is a progressive company that provides individual and family services in the Maritimes, youth programming nationally, and operates residential youth care programs in Nunavut and NWT. Learn more at www.experienceshift.ca.
About Shift’s youth care facilities:
Ilagiittugut: Experience the raw beauty of the Arctic. Our eight-bed treatment center for female youth between the ages of 12 and 19 is located on Baffin Island and focuses on reconnecting youth with their families, schools and communities.
Trailcross Treatment Centre: Help youth discover their greatness in a program built around cultural and outdoor adventure pursuits. Trailcross is our therapeutic treatment and care centre for co-ed youth aged 12-18 located in Fort Smith, NWT.
Polar Crescent: Live the joy of making a house a home. Located in Fort Smith, NWT, Polar Crescent is a six-bed, co-ed foster care program for children of all ages that incorporates growth through play and creativity.
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition CYCW-FS-2019 to: