Position: Fly-in / Fly-out Child and Youth Care Practitioner
Location: Northwest Territories / Nunavut
Starting Compensation: $13, 440.00 / 10 week rotation
Rotating Schedule: 10 weeks on / 10 weeks off
Competition #: CYCP-NORTH-0320
Closing Date: Immediate
Are you passionate about working with youth? If so then this amazing opportunity is for you. We are seeking an experienced Child and Youth Care professional to work in the capacity of a fly-in / fly-out Child and Youth Care Practitioner in our Northern locations. Travel and housing costs are covered while on site and compensation rates are progressive with higher wages paid for each successful rotation.
- Being present and engaged in the residence and program.
- Planning and facilitating innovative and creative recreational and therapeutic programming.
- Working intentionally and proactively with youth to maintain a safe and supportive environment.
- Building healthy relationships with youth by taking an interest in their lives, providing positive reinforcement for behaviours and negotiating focused goals.
- Implementing emergency protocols, crisis interventions and non-violent physical interventions as needed.
- Managing and supervising local staff and performing administrative tasks such as payroll sheets, daily logs, incident reports, client files, etc.
- Providing leadership in building and sustaining effective partnerships within the community as a whole.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working with children and youth preferably in a residential environment.
- A Diploma or Degree in Child and Youth Care preferred though Human Services or a relevant combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Mandatory valid CPR, First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, and ASIST.
- Must possess a valid, unrestricted driver’s license.
- A great sense of humour and ability to manage stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently; a self-starter.
- Resilience, independence and confidence.
- Proficient in report writing.
- Working understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Organization and attention to detail.
- Energy, enthusiasm and a genuine desire to improve the well-being of youth.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a recent clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening, child abuse registry check, TB test, hepatitis A & B screening, and a clear driver’s abstract.
Formerly known as Atlantic Youth, Shift is a privately owned and operated youth care company based in the Head of St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia. Founded in 2011, Shift is a progressive company that provides individual and family services in the Maritimes, youth programming nationally, and operates residential youth care programs in Nunavut and NWT. Learn more at www.experienceshift.ca
About Shift’s youth care facilities:
Ilagiittugut: Experience the raw beauty of the Arctic. Our eight-bed treatment center for female youth between the ages of 12 and 19 is located on Baffin Island and focuses on reconnecting youth with their families, schools and communities.
Trailcross Treatment Centre: Help youth discover their greatness in a program built around cultural and outdoor adventure pursuits. Trailcross is our therapeutic treatment and care centre for co-ed youth aged 12-18 located in Fort Smith, NWT.
Polar Crescent: Live the joy of making a house a home. Located in Fort Smith, NWT, Polar Crescent is a six-bed, co-ed foster care program for children of all ages that incorporates growth through play and creativity.
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition CYCP-NORTH-0320 to: