Position: Fly-in/Fly-Out Child and Youth Caregiver (CYC-G)
Type: Live-in, Rotational (12 weeks on / 12 weeks off)
Location: Fort Smith, NWT
Starting Compensation: $12, 600.00 / 12 week rotation
Competition #: CYCG-FS-0912
Closing Date: On-going
Passionate about working with youth? Can you demonstrate that you are self-motivated, creative, organized, engaging, practical and ethical? If so, consider joining our team as a fly-in / fly-out Child and Youth Caregiver (CYC-G) at the Polar Crescent Group Foster Home in Fort Smith, NWT. Polar Crescent is a group foster care program for youth of all ages, but focusing on younger children from infancy to adolescence. In this unique program design, CYC-G’s travel to NWT for 12 week rotations, living in and working at the facility. Travel and housing costs are covered while on site and compensation rates are progressive, with higher wages paid for each successful rotation.
- Build healthy relationships with youth in the residence by taking an interest in their lives, providing positive reinforcement for their behaviours, building their self-esteem and negotiating focused goals
- Work with each youth to achieve personal goals set through their plan of care
- Maintain a safe environment which may include emergency procedures, crisis intervention and non-violent physical intervention techniques.
- Perform organizational duties and manage / maintain a roster of casual / relief staff.
- Promote a friendly, supportive environment for co-operative living and conflict resolution skills.
- Support the preparation and delivery of therapeutic life skills including preparing and facilitating therapeutic, recreational and cultural-based group programming.
- Maintain logbook, client files, incident reports, and other reports.
- Provide leadership in building and sustaining effective service partnerships with the network of community services and community members.
- Bring energy, enthusiasm and a genuine desire to improve the well-being of young people in care to the job.
- 1- 3 years’ experience working with youth in a group care care setting
- A Diploma or Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child and Youth Care, Human Services or a related discipline.
- Experience working with younger children (0-5) considered an asset.
- Valid CPR, First Aid, and Drivers License are required.
- NVCI and ASIST are considered assets.
- Demonstrated ability to create and facilitate activities and programming.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Demonstrated ability to be resilient, adaptable and resourceful.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated understanding and sensitivity to the intergenerational impacts of colonialism and residential schooling in Canadian Aboriginal communities.
- Supervisory / Management experience considered an asset.
- Experience working and living in a remote community considered an asset.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening, driver’s abstract, Hep A & B screening, as well as clear tuberculosis skin test.
Formerly known as Atlantic Youth, Shift is a privately owned and operated human services and experiential learning company based in the Head of St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia. Founded in 2011, Shift is a progressive company that provides individual and family services in the Maritimes, youth programming nationally, and operates youth group care programs in Nunavut and NWT. Learn more at www.experienceshift.ca
To apply for this position:
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition CYCG-FS-0912 to: