Position: Cultural Guide
Type: Part Time (20 hours per week)
Compensation: $21.00 / hour
Location: Fort Smith, NWT
Creating meaningful and engaging experiences for youth on the land and in the community, the cultural guide’s job is to connect youth with the world around them. Under the direction of the Community Connector and working with youth in both the community and on the land, the Cultural Guide is a caring individual who is interested in connecting youth in the residence with traditional, outdoor and recreational pursuits both in the community and on the land though teaching and facilitating special activities and programs.
Working directly with youth, the Cultural Guide works to pre-plan and facilitate excursions or activities that are beneficial to their key youth’s physical, spiritual, mental or cultural wellness. This may include outings or activities relating to:
- On the land excursions
- Cultural experiences
- Community events
- Skill development (construction, mechanics, home repair, etc.)
- Elder visits
- Additionally, they are to be responsible for reviewing and evaluating ongoing programming and to recommend improvement and changes by:
- Informal observation and feedback received from users, clients, and/or agencies.
- Making recommendations for the purpose of upgrading and improving the Agencies cultural services.
- Submitting regular reports to the Child and Youth Care Practitioners on any or all reportable occurrences or events.
- Experience working with youth or desire to improve the well-being of youth
- Knowledgeable in traditional, outdoor, recreational and land-based activities
- Experience in wilderness out trips considered an asset
- Have excellent listening and communication skills
- Live a positive lifestyle.
- Must enjoy working in an environment with children facing challenges while possessing good judgment, a steady manner and a sense of humour.
- Must maintain professional conduct and abide by Shift’s Code of Ethics.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening Hep A & B screening as well as clear tuberculosis skin test.
Formerly known as Atlantic Youth, Shift is a privately owned and operated youth care company based in the Head of St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia. In operation since 2011, Shift is a progressive company that provides individual and family services in the Maritimes, youth programming nationally, and operates residential youth care programs in Nunavut and NWT. Learn more at www.experienceshift.ca
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition CGD-FS-1205 to: EMPLOYMENT@EXPERIENCESHIFT.CA