Position: Community Connector
Type: Part Time, Term (16 hours per week)
Compensation: $22.00 / hour
Location: Iqaluit, NU
Are you a caring and well-connected individual in the Iqaluit community? If so, this unique opportunity may be for you. Working with Cultural Guides and youth both in the community and on the land, the Community Connector is a caring individual who is well versed in the Iqaluit community and area. The primary task of this role is to bridge relationships between the centre and the community at large to facilitate meaningful experiences for youth. Please note that this is a term position to fill a maternity leave.
- Working as an agent of the centre in the local community, the Community Connector works with the cultural guides and community leaders to pre-plan and facilitate excursions or activities that are beneficial to their key youth’s physical, spiritual, mental or cultural wellness.
- Work strategically to create meaningful and long-lasting relationships with local organizations, bands, elders, artisans, presenters, community groups and more with the goal of attaining and maintaining high levels of aboriginal employment and engagement within the centre.
- Experience and knowledge of the local community and in working with youth.
- A desire to improve the well-being of youth.
- Knowledgeable in traditional, outdoor, recreational and land-based activities.
- Have excellent listening and communication skills.
- Live a positive lifestyle.
- Must enjoy working in an environment with children facing challenges while possessing good judgment, a steady manner and a sense of humour.
- Must maintain professional conduct and abide by Shift’s Code of Ethics.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening, Hepatitis A & B screening, as well as clear tuberculosis skin test.
Formerly known as Atlantic Youth, Shift is a privately owned and operated youth care company based in the Head of St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia. Founded in 2011, Shift is a progressive company that provides individual and family services in the Maritimes, youth programming nationally, and operates residential youth care program in Nunavut and NWT. Learn more at www.experienceshift.ca
About Shift’s youth care facilities:
Ilagiittugut: Experience the raw beauty of the Arctic. Our eight-bed treatment center for female youth between the ages of 12 and 19 is located on Baffin Island and focuses on reconnecting youth with their families, schools and communities.
Trailcross Treatment Centre: Help youth discover their greatness in a program built around cultural and outdoor adventure pursuits. Trailcross is our therapeutic treatment and care centre for co-ed youth aged 12-18 located in Fort Smith, NWT.
Polar Crescent: Live the joy of making a house a home. Located in Fort Smith, NWT, Polar Crescent is a six-bed, co-ed foster care program for children of all ages that incorporates growth through play and creativity.
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition CCON-IQ-0422 to: